Motivation

Motivate-to be moved to do something, that is my definition. Something as a parent that I have always struggled with is good motivation to my children. I don't know if I have found the answers yet? But I have found the things that I don't do well that I need to make changes.

Dr. Haim Grinott, said in his book, Lessons to Guide your parenting,  "Parents speak intimately, they speak to the heart, when they adopt a language of caring, which is sensitive to their children's needs feelings. It not only helps children to have a positive image of themselves that is confident and secure but teaches them to treat their parents with respect and consideration."

With teenagers, there are times when no matter what you say will motivate them to do anything. I have tried to talk more gently towards my teens ans give them expectations of what I would like to see from their work. By spending time and talking about what I would like them to do and then pitching in to do the work side by side the reaction towards many of the chores that I would like to see done, has changed from whines to yes, I would like to help.

I didn't like it when I was growing up that most of the responsibility was given to me. I think at times, I haven't given my children enough but as they are maturing I can see that they are trying and isn't that what I should want is effort? Today in General Conference, Sister Jones said "the Lord loves effort and effort brings reward." Just like the Lord I need to be more empathetic to the things that they are doing and trying but not be to critical to those things that they might struggle in. Help guide them and teach them. This will lead to more motivation and responsibility. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being sick wastes my weekend

My Parenting Skills take-away