My Parenting Skills take-away

Self-care- Marion G. Romney said, "without self-reliance one cannot exercise these innate desires to serve. How can we give if there is nothing there? Food for the hungry can't come from empty shelves. Money to assist the needy can't come from an empty purse. Support and understanding can't come from the emotionally starved. Teaching can't come from the unlearned. And most important of all spiritual guidance cannot come from the spiritually weak. 

This time in my parenting class I have learned that I need to take more time for the self-care of mom! This is a scary time in the world and if I'm not stocked in faith, hope and courage, how to I expect my children to feel or know where to turn if I don't teach them? I have thought over the many weeks what types of activities am I showing them by my example of filling my oil lamp to be spiritually fed? I have tried to spend more time on my knees praying for strength to get through school, to help my children make it through their schooling because of them being home and how to be a better partner. 

On my way to work I have been turning off the radio and listening to my favorite conference talks so they are in my mind as I go through out the day. I have tried to be more present to those around me and spend time learning what others are going through. When I have been doing these things, I can feel my lamp filling up with the strength that I need to carry on! To have the strength that it takes to move through uncertain times. 

I use to think of self-care as hair appointment day, mani/pedi day or lashes day. But as the economic times are scary those things don't seem as necessary. As well as the frivolous shopping that I have been doing. I am surprised on the lack of desire I have to do that. But what I have learned is that sitting and spending time with my family is what truly makes me happy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being sick wastes my weekend

Motivation